Prof. Donat R. Spahn
Institution: University Hospital of Zürich, Zürich, Switzerland
Academic Affiliations: University of Zürich, Zürich, Switzerland
Languages: English, German, French
- Professor and Chairman at the Institute of Anesthesiology, University and University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- Awarded his medical degree at the University of Zurich, before completing several clinical and research posts within Switzerland and the United States
- Professor and Chairman of the Department of Anesthesiology at the University and University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland, for six years prior to his current position
- Primary research areas include concepts to minimise the use of perioperative blood products and the management of massive bleeding
- One of the Founders of Patient Blood Management, involved in the development of the European guidelines for the management of bleeding following major trauma
- Published more than 355 scientific articles,14 books and more than 40 chapters, including numerous original papers and review articles regarding the transfusion of blood products. H-index of 64.
- Served on the editorial board for various anaesthesia journals and has participated in numerous committees and scientific advisory boards.
- Zurich, Switzerland